Monday, September 15, 2014

Book Review: Unbroken

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and RedemptionUnbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Both of my teenage boys beat me to this one, but I finally got around to it. A fantastic read that reminds me of what good war books do: show us man's darkness and man's courage. It never ceases to amaze me what a man can endure and what one man can do to another. I also did not realize how brutal the Japanese were to their prisoners. I really enjoyed her sections on how the prisoners kept their humanity by disrupting the Japanese war effort. I wish she had spent more time on his post-conversion years, but other than that a wonderful read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8