Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A book that gives some great insight into the life of a SEAL and a into a recon mission that went terribly wrong. Several things I liked about the book. It reminded me that mental toughness and deep love for those around you will push you further than you thought you could go. Frankly, many of us are very week mentally. We complain about the slightest thing. Reading about the SEALs should cure that. It made me want to stop whining about traffic and long lines at the grocery store and people who agitate me with their quirks. I also found it interesting that one of the key factors in making decisions is what the US and Taliban media will do with the SEALs should they make the wrong choice. Also I enjoyed the insight into the relationship between the Taliban and the villagers who protected the SEAL.

There were some things I did not like, such as the machismo and at times he seemed too self deprecating almost like he was trying too hard to sound humble. But the book is worth the read if only to remind you that you could be a lot tougher than you are.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8