Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: Life Together

Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian CommunityLife Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Bonhoeffer reminds me of C.S. Lewis in that there are things I wish he had said, but didn't and at times things I wish he hadn't said, but did. However, there is so much wisdom, so many paragraphs that bring us back to the essentials of Christian community, such a great understanding of human nature and sin, that Life Together was well worth the read.

Several parts greatly impressed me.

First, his discussion of Christian community as a grace and work of Christ was excellent.

Second, his section on common prayer/worship changed the way I did my family worship and gave numerous reasons on why the Psalms are central to all worship.

Third, his focus on listening before proclaiming was a good reminder for those of us proclaim for a our vocation. But it is a good reminder for all Christians. We cannot truly bring the word to people if we do not listen to them. Our applications will fall short.

Finally, he really pushes confessing our sins to one another. This is a much neglected Christian discipline.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8