Monday, August 19, 2013

Book Review: The Call to Wonder

The Call to Wonder: Loving God like a ChildThe Call to Wonder: Loving God like a Child by R.C. Sproul Jr.
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Different authors do different things to me when I read. Some make my brain hurt as I have to read and reread paragraphs. Some make my heart hurt as they point out my sin and drive me to confession. Some make me feel like I have been in a boxing ring. R.C. Sproul Jr. centers me. Whenever I get the feeling that I am directionless, especially with my family I go back to Sproul Jr. When I read him I feel at peace. That may sound strange, but he directs me back to the center of my faith and my vocation as a father and husband. This book is no exception. With his typical love for Christ and trust in his Word R.C. settles our hearts by reminding us that our Father is worthy of our trust. He will not let us down. We are to follow him with joy as a child.

I would add here that Sproul Jr's own experiences, the death of his wife and daughter, add great depth to this book, even though they occurred after the book was written. He has lived in child-like faith through some very dark valleys. The book has been lived by him, which gives it weight and authority.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8