Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review: Calvin's Doctrine of the Christian Life

Calvin's Doctrine of the Christian LifeCalvin's Doctrine of the Christian Life by Ronald Wallace
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The best theological book on sanctification I have ever read. Wallace wastes no words. Each chapter is a dense and clear outline of Calvin’s view on various aspects of sanctification. Wallace moves from how the Church is sanctified in Christ to our personal union with Christ to sanctification as the restoration of true humanity to the Church as the place of sanctification and finally to how we exercise our faith and persevere in that faith. As I read, I realized that my view of sanctification is weak. Too much of what I read was a novelty to me. Calvin’s view of sanctification goes much deeper and is much broader than mine. The book was a theological goldmine and will no doubt reward continued study.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8