Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review: Augustine of Hippo

Augustine of Hippo: A BiographyAugustine of Hippo: A Biography by Peter Robert Lamont Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(I read the old edition.) Titanic is the word that came to mind as I read. Augustine, his theology, his philosophy, his pastoral ministry, his interaction with the state, his defenses of orthodoxy come alive in this wonderful biography by Peter Brown. Brown emphasizes Augustine's intellectual labors and how his thought matured over the years. I was especially convicted by his love for his flock and his compassion towards them. Brown's discussion of the Donatist controversy and the Pelagian controversy were excellent. I never realized how much passion Augustine had and how deeply he felt certain things. I did not come close to absorbing all that was discussed, but what I got was exciting. Two specific things came out of the reading: First, I want to think better and deeper. Second, I want to get Augustine's sermons.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8