Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Father Hunger

Father Hunger: Why God Calls Men to Love and Lead Their FamiliesFather Hunger: Why God Calls Men to Love and Lead Their Families by Douglas Wilson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have read most of Pastor Wilson's books. All them are challenging in various ways. However, this book convicted me in ways his other books have not. I am not exactly sure the reason. I think it has to do with my oldest son turning thirteen. As my sons have gotten older, my own sins have become more apparent. This book did not just cut up some false views I had in my head. It cut up portions of my life that needed badly to be dealt with. Strange as it may sound this book led me to make a list of particular attitudes towards my family that I needed to repent of. It is also led me to pray more.

Here are three specific things that stick out:
1. A good father is a grateful father because he believes that God is sovereign over all things, including the annoying, irritating, ugly, things.

2. A good father longs for the responsibility that comes with children, a house, a wife, etc. He embraces the role because he knows this is what God made him for, this is how God is going to sanctify him, and God has given him this role to serve those around him.

3. Those fathers who cling to God are able to do what God has called them to do. One the easiest excuses for a father to make is that he is not able to affect change in his household. He believes he is impotent to do the job. Pastor Wilson's last chapter deals with this. He reminds us that if God calls us to be fathers then he will give us grace to accomplish the task. I have already leaned on this truth numerous times over the last several weeks.

Several reviews have noted that this book was not what they expected. I agree. It was different. But still very good.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8