Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review: Jesus Loves the Little Children

Jesus Loves the Little Children: Why We Baptize ChildrenJesus Loves the Little Children: Why We Baptize Children by Daniel R. Hyde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The best brief introduction to infant baptism I have read. Hyde is long enough to cover the basics, but short enough to be of use to any believer. There were several things I enjoyed about the book.

1. Hyde is gracious, but firm. His understands that good Christians differ on this issue. But he believes the Bible is firmly on his side. I liked this approach.

2. He emphasized the covenant of grace.

3. He discussed the status of children in the NT. I think this particular angle has been overlooked by both paedo and credo baptists.

4. He showed how the mode was irrelevant.

5. He used church history as a secondary source, but clearly put the Scriptures above it.

This will become my go to book for new parents or people looking into infant baptism.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8