Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bridges on Preaching: Knowing When to Stop

This past January I finished reading Charles Bridge's The Christian Ministry. It was recommended to me by an older minister. Rarely I have been so convicted personally by a book. The entire text was used by the Holy Spirit to show me my failings in sermon preparation and delivery. Anyone who is considering ministry should read it. I thought I would post some of my favorite quotes from it. Here is the first.

Let us ever stop where revelation stops; and not pretend to move one inch beyond it. p. 250

No comments:

Let the saints be joyful in glory, let them sing aloud on their beds, let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand, to execute vengeance on the nations, and punishments on the peoples; to bind the kings with chains and their nobles with fetters of iron. Psalm 149:5-8